San Miguel County Catholic Churches
In the early 1980s, the Catholic churches in New Mexico released their church records and allowed them to be microfilmed for genealogical purposes. Churches in each of the Archdioceses were supposed to routinely turn in copies of their records, but not all did. Also, many records were lost during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. Below are the churches in this county:
- San Miguel del Bado Church in San Miguel, NM
- Our Lady of Angels Church in Pecos, NM
- San Antonio de Padua Church in Pecos, NM
- Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Las Vegas, NM (this is Old Town)
- Immaculate Conception Church in Las Vegas, NM (this is New Town)
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Villanueva, NM
- San Miguel del Bado Church in Ribera, NM
- San Ysidro el Labrador Church in Chaperito, NM
- San Geronimo Mission Church in Geronimo, NM
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Sapello, NM
In 1999, I joined forces with Armando Sandoval and Pat Esterly and we created "Locating Catholic Church Records in New Mexico" to help people researching their ancestry in New Mexico. We had several goals in mind:
- Identify cities and towns within each county, and identify those whose names had changed (or if the county changed).
- Identify the churches located within each county.
- Identify the records available for the churches.
- Identify the places with copies of the microfilms and books.
It took us over a year to put all the material together (website shown below). When it comes up on the screen, scroll down to locate the table with all the NM counties and then click on San Miguel.
Let me know how I can help,